This article provides information on how to troubleshoot and resolve common issues encountered when using the OpenFin Lightweight installer. More information about the Lightweight Installer can be found on our Deployment Options page.
For issues encountered launching the application after the Runtime Version Manager has been installed on the local system please see our Application Launch Issues article.
When using the Lightweight installer, the installation process is:
- The installer downloads the OpenFin Runtime Version Manager (RVM) from https://cdn.openfin.co/release/rvm/latestVersion *
- The installer launches RVM with the URL of the Applications Configuration file
- The RVM downloads the OpenFin Runtime version as specified in the Application Configuration file, from https://developer.openfin.co/release/runtime/<Runtime Version> *
- The RVM creates the application icons, as configured in the Application Configuration
* Or the asset server configured by the application developer
To download the OpenFin software, the Assets Location URL must be accessible, the default Assets location is:
Please check with the application owner to confirm if an alternative Assets Location has been configured.
The OpenFin lightweight installer requires write access to the installation directory, by default the installation directory is:
The Lightweight Installer will write to the installer.log file located at %localappdata%\openfin\logs.
Unless the application developer has configured the installer with the 'No UI' setting, the following console will be visible and will report information about the progress of the installation, including any errors:
Common Installation Issues
Console Error Message: Error getting latest RVM version: SendRequest Error - Download Error: SendRequest Error
The Installer could not download the OpenFin Runtime Version Manager (RVM) from the specified location.
- The local machine is not connected to the Internet
- The network path to the hosted RVM is not open
- The RVM location URL is invalid
- Ensure the local system is connected to the internet
- Open the installer.log located in %localappdata%\openfin\logs, find the line:
Getting latest RVM version from <url>Copy the URL found in the log into a browser which should initiate a download of the RVM. If the download fails:
- Check with the local network team that the network path to the URL is open
- If the URL is https://cdn.openfin.co/release/rvm/latestVersion contact firstname.lastname@example.org to verify the server is operational
- If the URL is not: https://cdn.openfin.co/release/rvm/latestVersion check with the application provider that the URL is correct, and the server is operational
- If the download succeeds in a browser, compare the browsers network setting with the system default settings (The installer uses the system default)
Console Error Message: Error unable to create the directory: ...\openfin\logs
The installer is unable to create the log directory
- The logged in user does not have sufficient rights to create a folder in %LocalAppData%
- Ensure the logged in user has sufficient rights to create a folder in %LocalAppData%
Error Message: RVM exe wasn't found in the extracted latest RVM download
The RVM download was successful, however, extraction of the RVM from the downloaded zip file failed
- The logged user does not have permission to extract the downloaded zip file
- Security software has quarantined the zip after download
- Ensure the logged in user has permission to extract downloaded .zip files
- Check all local security software logs, and the local system event log, for an indication the file has been quarantined